The Rt. Revd. James Olusola Odedeji began his work in earnest as the second Bishop of the Diocese of Lagos West. The Diocese was zoned in his schedule of his familiarisation tour which began with the visit to Ikeja and Agege Zones. The Ikeja Zone comprises of Ikeja, Opebi and Oshodi Archdeaconries while Agege Zone has Agege, Ojodu, Iju, Abule-Egba Archdeaconries. Within two weeks, he had been able to cover seven Archdeaconries. He was accompanied by the thirty Administrators and some other priests of the Diocese. He was warmly received and welcomed by the Churches visited. The members waited patiently outside the gate of the Church to receive their Bishop.
The visit to Agege Zone was extended till evening. One was surprised to see the members waited till evening to receive their new Bishop. It showed that the new Bishop was loved and accepted by the whole Diocese. The Churches promised to support him. May the good Lord bless our new Bishop in Jesus’ name.
During his tour, he made known his 3-fold agenda to the members of the Parishes:
1. He thanked the members for their supports for his father and predecessor, the Rt. Revd. Dr. Peter Awelewa Adebiyi during his tenure and then solicited for their supports during his tenure.
2. He introduced his wife, Mrs Kemi Odedeji and himself to his parishioners as their new Bishop.
3. He encouraged the members to improve on their supports towards the covenant seed.
4. He mandated the Churches to keep to the 40% savings rule of the Diocese. According to him, the rule was established by the Synod. He further said that he would be sending external Auditors to the Churches without any notice.
5. The 3-Fold Agenda are:
a. Spiritual development of the members of the Churches in the Diocese. Emphasis will be placed on spiritual matter to prepare every member for the Kingdom of God. He encouraged active participation in Bible Study, Prayer Meetings, Vigils and other spiritual services that can improve their spiritual life.
b. Youth Development as my focus. He said youth would be given priority in the Diocese especially in their involvement in the Church administration at all levels.
c. Aggressive Evangelism is another top priority. He made known that we needed to populate our Churches with members instead of just building gigantic Churches.
Mama Lagos West, Mrs Kemi Odedeji also pleaded for the support of the women in the Churches. The women are to be involved in Church activities.
1. Spiritual development of the members of the Churches in the Diocese.
2. Youth Development will be his focus.
3. Aggressive Evangelism is another top priority.
Revd Oluwole Ibikunle
Your email address will not be published.